I passed through Fanueil Hall and Quincy Market,
over the Greenway,
was 300 Hanover Street. I had finally arrived at Mike’s Pastry.
With a wide variety of Italian cookies, cannoli, cakes, and pies, I’ve never been there without a line or a difficult choice to make.
But even more challenging than deciding what type of pastries to purchase and have packaged nostalgically in a box secured with strings,
Yield: 24 cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups sugar
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 24 cupcake pans.
Combine flour, orange zest, baking powder, and salt in bowl. In a stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping after each addition. Add vanilla and almond extracts. On low speed, alternate adding flour mixture and milk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.
Fill liners 3/4 way. Bake until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes and transfer to wire rack. Cool completely.
Ganache Filling Ingredients:
- 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter, room temperature
Break chocolate into small pieces and put in a medium bowl.
In a small pot on the stove, heat the cream and corn syrup until simmering. Do not boil. Pour cream mixture over the chocolate and stir until smooth. Add the butter and stir until melted.
Ricotta Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
- 16 ounces (2 bars) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup ricotta cheese, drained overnight
- 2 ounces (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- mini chocolate chips for garnish
In a stand mixer, cream the butter and cream cheese on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add ricotta, sugar, and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Switch stand mixer to high and beat for 2-3 minutes.
Putting It All Together…
- Use an apple corer to remove centers of cupcakes.
- Use small spoon or piping bag to fill holes with ganache.
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes, making sure to pipe to the edge.
- Roll cupcake in mini chocolate chips to garnish.