Christmas has come and gone. The New Year is upon us and soon it’ll be time to take down the tree and pack up the holiday decorations. But what to do with the leftover eggnog? Bake Eggnog Cupcakes!
This recipe, adapted from living artfully, makes 4 dozen petit-four size, 2 dozen traditional minis, or 6 full-size cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup + 5 unlevel tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 cup rum
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1/8 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons eggnog
- 1/4 tablespoon rum
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Garnish: ground cinnamon
For the Cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, combine rum, eggnog, grapeseed oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla on low speed.
- Mix in sugar and beat until combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, mixing at medium speed.
- Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full.
- Bake until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean, approximately 7-9 minutes for petit fours or minis.
- Transfer cupcakes to rack to cool completely.
For the Frosting:
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip the butter until light and fluffy, approximately 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in one cup of powdered sugar.
- Add the eggnog, nutmeg, and vanilla; whip until combined.
- Mix in remaining 1/4 cup of powdered sugar.
- Add rum and whip until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes as desired and sprinkle with ground cinnamon to garnish.