It’s officially winter and with the long months of January and February looming, I find myself craving summer and the beach. Looking through photos today I was reminded of my October visit to the beach in Malibu.
catching a show at the Kodak Theater,
or snapping photos of the iconic Hollywood signare priorities. But for me, being in LA is about afternoons on the beach, catching up with good friends, and indulging in decadent treats like these gorgeous macaroons from Bottega Louie.
Los Angeles also hosts some of my favorite vegan restaurants. In fact, my first night in LA is always spent dining at Real Food Daily! And every morning starts at my very favorite coffee chain, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, so it’s no surprise that my California dreaming inspired me to bake this Vegan Orange Tea Banana Bread!
Since this was my first foray into vegan baking, I found this recipe on a vegan blog and made only minor modifications.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups orange tea*
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
*I used Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Spice Herbal Tea, but any tea will work.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a standard loaf pan.
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil over medium heat and steep tea.
- In a medium bowl, mash bananas. Combine with tea, oil, vanilla, orange juice, and 1/4 teaspoon orange zest.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and combine.
- Add pecans. Pour batter into greased pan.
- Sprinkle the top of the batter with cinnamon, sugar, and remaining orange zest.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until cooked through.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.