As an avid traveler, I’m always up for trying something new. So when my food blog inspiration, The Inquiring Chef, told me about “First On The First”, participating was a no-brainer!
What’s “First On The First”? Each month, Kate of Food Babbles and Carrie of Poet in the Pantry make something that’s a first for them. They invite others to join in, put their spin on the month’s project, and post it to their blogs on the first of the month. It’s February 1 and time to reveal… my Florentine Cookies!
Never having made Florentine cookies, I reviewed quite a few recipes before coming up with the one below. (I found these ingredients and instructions particularly helpful.) And I admit I got a little carried away with the finish on these — there were just so many ways to be creative! I loved my first “First On The First” experience and am already looking forward to next month’s. But don’t worry — I’ll be back to posting travel pics, tips, and treats next week! :)
- 1 cup chopped sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups oatmeal
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Nutella, room temperature
- Chopped hazelnuts
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine almonds, flour, and oatmeal; set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, bring sugar, butter, corn syrup, cream, salt, and extracts to a boil. Remove pan from heat and pour over almond mixture. Stir to combine.
- Drop teaspoons of batter 3 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets.
- Bake 7-9 minutes or until Florentines are golden brown. Remove from oven and cool two minutes on baking sheets. Using a thin metal spatula, carefully transfer Florentines to wire racks to cool completely.
- Melt Nutella and 1 tablespoon of shortening in a small bowl. Place chopped hazelnuts in a small bowl and…
a) Using an offset spatula, spread a thin layer of Nutella on the smooth side of one cookie. Place another cookie on top. (See options B and C for additional finish ideas.) OR
b) Drizzle Nutella over cookies in a zigzag pattern. OR
c) Dip Florentine into Nutella and sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over chocolate.
Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…