In May, I took a teeny tiny plane
to visit a teeny tiny lady. My friend EE’s baby had arrived and I couldn’t wait to meet her!
This visit was quite different than my last. Instead of walking around downtown Roanoke, boutique shopping, and indulging in truffles, we spent the weekend outside of the city in picturesque Rocky Mount.
We enjoyed the landscape from behind the stroller, played and cuddled with the baby, and spent lots of time at her “gym”.
Somehow, I escaped diaper changes,
but I did fall in love with baby A and I can’t wait to make her a travel buddy when she gets a little bigger. And judging by some recent pictures, I may not have to wait all that long! I can’t believe how much she’s changed in the two short months since I visited and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to bake another sweet treat that reminded me of this sweet baby girl…Pink Lemonade Mini Cupcakes. (Photographed on my version of a play mat — a pastry mat!)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
- 1/2 cup grape seed oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 drops yellow food coloring
For the Frosting
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons frozen pink lemonade concentrate, thawed
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 drops red food coloring
For the Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix sugar, lemonade concentrate, oil, egg whites, vanilla, and lemon zest. Mix in half the dry ingredients. Add buttermilk. Mix in remaining dry ingredients.
- Stir in yellow food coloring.
- Fill each cupcake liner 3/4 full. Bake cupcakes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, approximately 9-10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
For the Frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, approximately 3 minutes. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time. Once combined, add lemonade concentrate and lemon juice. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Add red food coloring and beat another 5 minutes.
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes. Garnish as desired.
DISTANCE TRAVELED FROM PHILADELPHIA TO ROCKY MOUNT: 318 miles
[This recipe was adapted from Mission Food.]