Mille-feuille translates from French to “thousand leaves”, a reference to the puff pastry that’s an integral part of this dessert. Also known as a Napoleon, this sweet, flakey treat is made up of three layers of puff pastry, alternating with two layers of pastry cream. While the variations are endless, the top pastry layer is typically dusted with powdered sugar or glazed with white fondant and chocolate.
It’s been a busy spring in Philly — lots of suitcases and not enough sweets! — so I opted for the quick version of this French dessert and used store-bought puff pastry, layered with my favorite, tried-and-true pastry cream, and complemented with some fresh strawberries. To see and read about other variations of mille-feuille, click on the links below to visit other First on the First bloggers’ sites!
- 17.3 ounce package of two puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg, for optional egg wash
- 3.4 ounce box instant French vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pint whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pound strawberries, chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Juice of 1 lime
- On a lightly floured surface, unfold pastry sheet and cut into three strips of equal size. Place on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. If a more golden brown color is desired, apply an egg wash (1 egg and 1 tablespoon water) on the top of each pastry strip. Prick each strip with a fork and bake as directed on the box.
- Once golden brown, remove from baking sheets and cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, mix pudding and heavy cream; refrigerate until firm. In a medium-sized bowl, combine chopped strawberries, lime juice, and vanilla; set aside.
- When pudding mixture is firm, fold in whipped pint of whipping cream and mix in strawberries.
- Split each pastry into two layers, forming a total of 12 layers.
- Layer filling and pastry sheets, beginning and ending with pastry.
- For easier slicing, refrigerate before serving.
More mille feuille madness:
- Food Babbles’ Balsamic Blueberry Mille Feuille sounds simply amazing
- Jenn of Go Running, Mama! went over the top with Banane Noisette Mille Feuille
- poet in the pantry attempted Mille Feuille with Nutella Pastry Cream